Thursday, November 30, 2006

a little snappy "happy ever after"

1. I am grateful for good friends. I have many acquaintances, but I have just a handful of really good friends--the kind I can count on in any situation. The kind that I know will be there for me and will always be on my side. Today is the birthday of one of the best of my friends, and the last few years when we haven't lived close have been hard. Previous to Somebody, she knew me better than anyone ever has. She was there during the hardest parts of my young adult life and her influence and guidance made me a better person. Happy Birthday, Heidi. I love you and miss you, and hope you have a wonderful birthday.

"Truth and tears clear the way to a deep and lasting friendship."
"No lapse of time or distance of place can lessen the friendship of those who are truly persuaded of each other's worth."
"How lucky I am to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye to."
2. I am grateful for a good name. I'm grateful for a family heritage that I can be proud of, and for the expectation that I do something good with my life to honor my family.

3. I am grateful for this challenge that has forced me to see blessings where sometimes I don't look for them, to look on the bright side of things every morning when I'm still tired and a little grouchy, and, most especially, for being able to read the things that my family and friends are grateful for. It's amazing how much good we have in our lives, and how the small exercise of naming just three each day can open up our eyes to all that we have.


"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life, we ‘accentuate the positive.’ I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort"
--President Gordon B. Hinckley

No comments: