Monday, January 07, 2008

another reason i love sweet potatoes

Did you want to join me for lunch tomorrow? Because this is what we are having. The yummiest soup ever. I found the recipe when I was hunting for ways to use up the tons of baked potatoes and sweet potatoes from our ward Christmas party, and loved it so much that I want to eat it every day. I think I did, there, for a while. I ate leftovers for dinner for several nights in a row, even when something new had been prepared for dinner. It wasn’t what I made for dinner tonight, but it was what I made after dinner so that I could eat it for lunch for the rest of the week. I’ll save you some, though, if you’re coming.Don't the pictures make it look appetizing? I know, I'm no food photographer. But it's yummy, trust me.

Spicy Sweet Potato Soup

Ingredients
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
1 ½ Tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 can coconut milk
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
salt to taste

Directions
In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and lime zest. Set aside in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to blend.
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and chicken stock. Season with cumin, chili flakes and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
Puree the soup using an immersion blender or regular blender. If using a counter top blender, puree in small batches, filling the blender just a bit past half way to avoid spillage. Whisk peanut butter into the soup, and heat through. Stir in lime juice, and salt.
Ladle into warm bowls, and top with a dollop of the reserved sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro. If you have it, adding diced avocado is also wonderful.

Don't be frightened by "spicy." It is not hot. Just delicious. So come on over. 'Bout noon? Great. I'll see you here.

No comments: