Saturday, January 31, 2009

my excuses

Today I took advantage of the wonderful fake spring weather and began a little spring cleaning. I took all the piles of papers and accumulated junk from the various surfaces in my bedroom and put them all on the bed for sorting and putting away. With so many now open surfaces I realized that a serious dusting was in order and so spent some time cleaning off the surfaces that haven't seen the sun since, oh, last summer sometime. I am something of a pack-rat. Once the room was dusted I turned my attention back to the pile on the bed, but was soon distracted by an invitation to help wash the cars.

To be fair, I was the one who originally extended the car washing invitation to my dad because I knew how filthy our cars were and wanted his help. I offered to help him with his cars if he would help with mine. Done. I'm not sure how long I expected it to take to wash four semi-large vehicles, but I certainly didn't expect it to take two hours. As soon as we finished I had to take a lie-down break to rest these old, aching bones, and then got busy making dinner.

When dinner was in the oven I had to rush to take a shower and get ready to pick Somebody up from the airport (he has been in San Antonio this week for a work conference) and so never did find the time to return to the pile of junk on the bed. On our way home from the airport I told Somebody that the pile was still there (I had talked to him earlier in the day and he knew I was planning to clean the room) and that we were going to have to sleep in the guest room or on the couch tonight because there was no way I was going to get it cleaned before we needed to go to bed. He said, "Oh, I never expected you to finish."

What? Am I not a finisher? Has my reputation proceeded me? Do I leave piles of things that I'm "cleaning" sitting around for weeks? Oh, yes, I do. Huh. Maybe I'll work on that. As soon as I finish the pile in the bedroom...

Saturday, February 24, 2007

4 comments:

Paul and Rebecca Jones said...

love it! I never get around to the piles and piles of papers either. Maybe I should and that would help our bills to get paid on time ALL the time.

Adrienne said...

Um, yeah. I have apparently fallen off the blog-reading wagon and had missed about 5 of your posts. Would you like some helpful advice about shampoo? Okay, well then give me some advice about rhodes, por favor!
And really? No eyeliner? It's seriously because you are so pretty, friend. Why would we notice? You look great naked-face. And you know it.

BYU Fish said...

Know the feeling....I just BARELY found a place for the bins (yes, that's plural) of Christmas decorations I've had in the second bedroom...and under breakfast bar...who drinks that early in the day anyway...so the paper piles are next. And I have moved them from one place to another...since CHRISTMAS...honey...you've got LOTS of time!

Stina said...

Hey Jen,

I blog stalked you to (to my credit, you put it on facebook). If you want in on mine, you have to give me your email address. Then you can know more than you want about me & my family!

PS. You crack me up!