Wednesday, January 28, 2009

a year in review

I feel fully justified in posting this now because half of my family is Chinese and the Chinese rang in the New Year just this past weekend. Here are a few pictoral highlights from this past year:


January: We bought a bamboo steamer and (sort of) perfected the steamed bun.

February: I had what was both the best trip and the worst trip to Arizona. The worst because I stubbed my toe, lost a toenail, and got strep throat. The best because I got to see the lovely Housewife and her family, AND I got to have the yummiest fresh oranges ever.
March: We started our indoor plantings for our square foot gardens. It became clear that Somebody has a serious green thumb because all his starters sprung to life too early to go into the ground and (I think) became the beginning of the end of our gardens. April: The highlight for sure was our trip to Utah where we got to spend time with some good friends and have raclette for the first time.
May: Family, family, and more family, which we were so excited about that we jumped off the boat. Also, this month I stopped wearing eyeliner. No one noticed.June: I ventured back to Canada and had the best two-hour cab ride that ended with these yummy burgers.July: I won a "guess how many m&ms are in this jar" competition and won all 8,000 of them. That's a lot of m&ms.
August: Somebody started working full-time (at a job he continues to love), we bought a new car (which I continue to love), oh, and we found out about the little guy. No biggie.September: I branched out from just cherry and peach and perfected the blueberry pie. October: I went to Houston and wore this wig for a work party. Sadly, I have never had more compliments on my hair in my life.
November: The highlight of the month (and quite possibly the year) was the weekend we spent in Boston, Albany, and New York City. We got to see places we love and friends we love even more.
December: Christmas in Utah with family and 18 inches of snow in 24 hours. And a pool. And a really steep hill. Also some skiing for Somebody.
2008: This year has completely kicked my trash. It has been challenging in ways that I didn't know were possible, and more than once I have felt beaten and spent. Luckily there is a light at the end of this tunnel--a small but bright light who is kicking me right now. It also helps that when I have steep hills to climb Somebody will always be there.

5 comments:

Janssen said...

I like you so so much. I can't wait until you can include us in your Boston friends.

Also, I can't believe how good you look with a blue bob. You should have been a punk rock star. Oh well - in another life.

Meg said...

The two hours in the cab were my favorite hours during that entire trip... well, that AND scoring the Tylenol 1.

Allison said...

I love the pic of THREE pregnancy tests - you just wanted to be sure, right?

Karla said...

Wow! You have a lot of M&Ms. You will have to teach me how to guess that good. Fun photos!

Heidi Hallam said...

What a busy year! And an exciting one. So I assume the blue wig was for Halloween? What were you?