Tuesday, October 24, 2006

breathe in for luck

Also known as: “The time I snuck my camera into a concert by hiding it in my bra.”

I went to the Dashboard Confessional concert last night with Scrumptious Cupcakes and Somebody. We were the oldest people there, except for that one set of grandparents that were inexplicably rocking out to the opening band. But, as Dashboard is one of my favorite bands, it was a great experience. Some interesting happenings:

1. Cameras weren’t allowed in the venue but we didn’t want to walk all the way back to the car to return ours, so we had to find a way to get it in without getting caught. Because the security guards were doing pat-downs of everyone entering we couldn’t hide the camera in our pockets. Our ingenious idea? My bra. I knew this cleavage would come in handy one day.

2. Chris Carrabba came out alone, with his guitar, before the opening band, to play a few solo songs and “thank us for showing up early.” The young whipper-snappers in the front mosh pit actually started chanting for the opening band, Brand New, while Chris was playing. I was floored and disgusted with them.

3. The band Brand New (a.k.a. Grand Poo) wasn’t anything we wanted to hear. We actually, because we are 84 years old, left the arena and found a semi-quiet stairwell to hide in so our eardrums weren’t blasted out. Coincidentally, 84 is also the apparent age of their skinny-jeans wearing guitar player.

It was a great night. Loved the band. Loved the stage set-up. And it doesn’t hurt that Dashboard has some of the greatest song lyrics. For your reading pleasure, here is a sampling.

“Well as for now I'm gonna hear the saddest songs, and sit alone and wonder how you're making out. But as for me, I wish that I was anywhere with anyone, making out.”

“Oh, how we've shouted, how we've screamed, take notice, take interest, take me with you.”

“I am fairly agile. I can bend and not break. Or I can break and take it with a smile.”

“Just bend the pieces ‘till they fit, like they were made for it, but, they weren’t meant for this. No, they weren’t meant for this.”

“And I said ‘I've gotta be honest, I've been waiting for you all my life.’"

“I'll be true, I'll be useful...I'll be cavalier...I'll be yours my dear. And I'll belong to you.”

“My hopes are so high, that your kiss might kill me. So won't you kill me, so I die happy.”

“Please send me anything but signals that are mixed.”

“On the way home, this car hears my confessions. I think tonight I'll take the long way.”

“Your smile is the most genuine thing that I’ve ever seen. I was so lost but now I believe.”

“You’re chasin’ the ghost of a good thing.”

“I need a sure thing and you are a mystery to me.”

“And I am flawed, but I am cleaning up so well.”

“My heart is sturdy but it needs you.”

“She made you better than you'd been before.”

“I have reason to believe that I have victories to taste.”

“Some things tie your life together, slender threads and things to treasure. Days like that should last and last and last.”

“Don't wait to lay your armor down.”

“You are the best one of the best ones.”

“She just might get you lost, and she just might leave you torn, but she just might save your soul if she gets you any closer.”

“Hands down this is the best day I can ever remember.”

No comments: